Top Returning Tight Ends - 2022
by Charlie Krausse April 17, 2022
In an era of spread offenses, it is easy to overlook or even forget about the Tight End position. However, enough teams implement that position as a weapon, including the defending National Champions, Georgia Bulldog so it is not a position to take likely. Here are the rankings for top returning TEs for the 2022 season:
- Brock Bowers, Georgia – As a freshman, he was arguable Georgia’s best receiver, not just TE on their championship team. In fact, in the National Championship Game, he was Georgia’s leading receiver. On the season, he grabbed 56 receptions for 882 yards with 13 touchdowns.
- Michael Mayer, Notre Dame – The Irish Tight End was a dominant force throughout the 2021 season. Mayer caught 71 passes for 840 yards and scored 7 touchdowns.
- Austin Allen, Nebraska – One of the highest graded TEs last season was the Husker’s Allen. Only scoring 2 touchdowns last year, Allen was used as a short yardage tight end last season, only averaging about 15 yards per game.
- Zack Kuntz, Old Dominion – The nation’s tight end leading receiver was a Monarch last year. Who would have guess that trivia question right? Kuntz had 73 receptions for 692 yards with 5 touchdowns. With Old Dominion’s move to the Sun Belt, new teams will need to scheme their defenses around Kuntz.
- Sam LaPorta, Iowa – LaPorta played a solid role for the Hawkeyes offense in 2021, catching 52 passes for 670 yards and scored 3 touchdowns. Only expect bigger and better from LaPorta this fall.
- Marshon Ford, Louisville – When most of the Louisville offense focused on QB Malik Cunningham, Ford was a quiet, bright spot for the Cardinals. The Tight End had 49 receptions for 550 yards with 2 touchdowns, in 2021.
- Payne Durham, Purdue – One of the higher rated returning TEs is Purdue’s Payne Durham. The Boilermaker had 45 receptions for 467 yards and scored 6 touchdowns in 2021.
- Jalen Wydermyer, Texas A&M – Not even a hidden gem, a must watch and cover weapon for the Aggies last season. Wydermyer had 40 catches for 515 yards and scored 4 touchdowns.
- Cameron Latu, Alabama – Alabama’s tight end did not even average 2 receptions a game, but scored 8 touchdowns throughout the ’21 season. With production above him graduating and moving on, Latu’s production level will only go up in 2022.
- Erik All, Michigan – The Wolverines tight end received high ratings from PFF after his ’21 campaign. All added 38 receptions for 437 yards with 2 touchdowns last season.